Log in

No account? Create an account
Don't leave your laptop charging unattended - One person's lack of compassion does not equal another's comfort.
One person's lack of comprehension does not equal another's consent.
Don't leave your laptop charging unattended
This may be the scariest thing you read all year if you own a laptop computer.

This is a story of how the battery in a 5 year old laptop "exploded" nearly taking the house with it. I've commented to ask if it was as I suspect a Lithium Ion battery that failed. I'd also like to know if at the time it died if the battery was still taking charges at all or if the explosion occurred because an essentially dead battery was left in the laptop while it was primarily running off AC power.

1 Rubber Ducky or Leave a Rubber Ducky
From: whirlybirdie Date: July 8th, 2005 06:44 am (UTC) (Link)

Please reread the original posting...

The laptop was only 5 months old. The tech was 5 years with the company. This virtually guarantees that lithium ion cells were involved. The explosion was most likely caused by a defective charging (over charged) circuit. This high energy cells do not tolerate the slightest bit of an overcharge. They complain by saying "BOOM!!! There goes your house! Sucker!!!!!"

Apple Computer corp issued a vast recall on their Powerbook notebook Mac's batteries late last year because of complaints of hot battery packs and the fear of fire. I personally know the owner of one such Mac. Yes, the pack was very hot!
1 Rubber Ducky or Leave a Rubber Ducky